Job ID 2231
Working at American Boiler & Mechanical
“I get to work independently. They trust me as a professional.”
“I don’t like routine, and this job brings something new every day.”
“I regularly learn new skills from my co-workers, and I share what I know with the younger techs. It’s an efficient system”
“I know the owners personally, so if I have an issue, I can go directly to them.”
These are just some of the comments we’ve heard from our team members at American Boiler & Mechanical. We’re a leading Midwest-based mechanical contractor that is locally owned and family-run for nearly 50 years. Our business continues to grow, providing great opportunities for new team members.
And talk about variety. Our current customer businesses include petrol-chemical, manufacturing, food processing, multi-family housing, education and healthcare. That’s job security.
“From churches to distilleries,” as a team member once said. “You can’t get more diversified than that.”
Our work focuses on boilers, process piping, and mechanical systems for facility retrofits, upgrades, and expansions. We exist to keep our customers’ facilities operating efficiently with a minimum of downtime. We make a positive impact on our clients through our quality and timely mechanical work, yet we’re also a family-run business that values our team members and understands the life balance we all need.
We are currently looking to add team members who share our passion to develop deep, long-term client relationships through doing great work. If you are looking for an opportunity to learn and grow with a great company, we welcome the opportunity to discuss our opportunities with you.
About this Position
Our Fitter/Welder Fitters are responsible for performing installation maintenance, service and repair of all makes and models of boilers piping and related equipment. They will also be responsible for layout and welding of piping systems for steam, condensate, hydronic, and process piping. Piping could be fabricated off drawings or as design build. The position may also include boiler repair.
The Position’s Responsibilities
- Inspecting the workplace, clearing obstructions, and preparing materials and equipment.
- Maintains knowledge of hazard prevention and safety best practices.
- Ordering required materials such as pipes, hangars, brackets, hydraulic cylinders, etc.
- Repairing and maintaining pipe systems, supports, and related equipment.
- Clearing pipe systems of obstructions and testing their functionality.
- Complying with relevant codes and regulatory standards.
- Proficient in SMAW for carbon steel required.
- Proficient in GTAW for stainless steel is a plus.
- Availability to work overtime and be on rotating on call schedule.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- All job offers are dependent on an acceptable drug and alcohol screening.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Willingness to learn commercial and industrial boiler/burner technology and troubleshooting.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 3 – 5 years’ work-related experience.
- Jurisdictional license or willing to pursue.
Participate in American Boiler & Mechanical’s Benefits
We are concerned for you and your family’s stability and well-being, so we offer a suite of benefits to help you grow and progress in your career with AB&M, including:
- You will join a winning team that delivers for our clients, while maintaining a quality work-life balance.
- We provide personalized training to round-out any other deficient areas, including job shadowing with more experienced team members, or more formalized training opportunities. Employees may have the opportunity to join a four-year paid apprenticeship training program (offered in plumbing, pipefitting, sheet metal). This allows team members to grow and advance at their own pace.
- Job advancement opportunities are offered on a merit basis.
- Health and dental insurance are offered for employees and families (company pays 60%).
- Company provided life insurance & short-term disability. Employees have the option to elect long term disability.
- 401(k) eligibility with a 4% company match.
- Rigorous safety training programs are provided, maintaining a safe environment.
- Company vehicle (with fuel card) are provided for many positions, after a trial period.
- Company-provided mobile phone.
- PTO starts after a trial period, providing 12 days of PTO time, eventually maxing out at 5 weeks. Six paid holidays/year.
- Our employees that take pride in the work that they do and strive to put in their best effort each day.
- The management team empowers employees to have a voice within the company.
- We are a family owned and operated business with leadership that has remained within the same family for years. The same values exist from when the company started as well as current business strategies that bring balance to the working experience.
- We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, politics, national origin, veteran status, or disability status. Our diversity encourages input from all team members as we look to continuously improve ourselves and our service offerings.